NOWYOU :: cooks :: Bread and Wine

My February contribution to NOWYOU cooks is from a book that is not actually a cookbook, but a wonderfully written book that includes recipes. The book is called Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist, and I loved it!  She has a few other titles as well that I can't wait to read including a brand new one called Savor - Living Abundantly, Where You Are, As You Are.  I got around to making three recipes but I only photographed one.  I made Maple Balsamic Pork Tenderloin, Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs, and Goat Cheese Biscuits.  I asked Shauna Niequist if I could repost her recipe and she said "of course", so scroll down to find it. 








                Goat Cheese Biscuits
         *Adapted from a recipe created by Art Smith, Table Fifty-Two

Ingredients

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup plain yogurt
6 tablespoons cold butter, divided
4 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Instructions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place a 10-inch cast-iron pan into the oven while it’s preheating.
Pour flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium-sized bowl. Cut 4 tablespoons butter into small pieces and add it to the bowl, with the goat cheese and the yogurt. Stir until the mix is moistened, adding an extra tablespoon of yogurt if needed.
Remove the hot skillet from the oven and place a tablespoon of butter into it. When the butter has melted, divide the batter into 12 biscuits, each about the size of a golf ball,  and then nestle them into the pan - they'll be snuggled in there pretty cozily, and that's all right.  I usually start by making a ring of 9 around the edge, then 3 in the middle.
Brush the tops of the biscuits with one tablespoon of melted butter.  Bake for 14-16 minutes until browned on the top and bottom.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese.
MAKES: one dozen biscuits
In her book, she says "they're rick and buttery and tangy, and when I make them, I serve them with strawberry jam - the perfect breakfast, or a lovely thing to serve with sparkling wine as dinner guests are arriving".   
I concur! I thought they tasted wonderful with jam, and made a perfect accompaniment to breakfast!





And here is a little teaser if you have never read the book.

Comments

  1. Anonymous16.3.15

    I wanted to tell you that I think your images are STUNNING. And you make me want to get this cookbook and also try this recipe. You hooked me in big time. I love it. Love your friend Tracie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts