Day 10 ~ Preparations

Cooking, baking, joy, these three words don't necessarily belong in the same sentence.  Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of cooking, and baking, but the absolute joy of it missed my genes.  It has always been a quandary for me, as I want to feed my family the best possible thing.  It also doesn't help that I am a nature girl, so things like propylene glycol, or hydrogenated vegetable oil that aren't actually food, really get in my crawl. We were meant to eat food not chemicals.  So that leaves me with only one option, scratch cooking and baking.

When I was about 20 years old, I discovered Martha Stewart.  I loved her show, her DIY self, and she made baking more of an art form for me, and that's all I needed.  I always say everything I learned, I learned from Martha Stewart.  She was my surrogate mum.  However don't let that mislead you, my cooking and baking skills are not equal to hers, but I do make a great presentation!

Most of us have to be in the kitchen whether we are cooking, or just eating.  We were told to focus on something in the kitchen that brings us joy.  To record something that warms our heart, and reminds us of the bounty we are blessed with.   I choose to make bread. scratch bread. no knead bread. delicious bread. I recently went on an all girls trip to the coast of Oregon to meet with some kindred spirits.  We laughed, we talked, we took pictures, went on adventures, and broke bread together.  On of the ladies Ani (pronounced Oni) made us some no knead bread, and it was awesome!  She told us how, so when I got home, I googled it to see if I could find a similar recipe.  Guess what? I did!  This is my second time making it.  There is something so romantic, so cozy, so old school about making homemade bread! Like I stated earlier, I love the idea of it, and the end result, more than the task itself.  So these are my images I captured during that process.  Sometimes when you are doing something that isn't necessarily your favorite, you have to make your own fun.  That's where my joy comes from.  That and knowing my kids have memories that involve the pleasant smells as well as favorite dishes that come from my kitchen.

I am making a video of all the outtakes, but I didn't get it done in time. I really have to quit preparing my posts so late at night, too many grammatical errors when I wake up the next morning. Uhhhhgggg.  I heard a rumor that Tracie West was busy making cookies yesterday, and all the while she was battling being sick. What a trooper!



Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts!
~ J. B.



























  And then there was visitors.  What else do you do when there is a camera set up in the kitchen?








Ok, I don't remember taking this one, nor do I remember laughing like that. hmmmmm.



Comments

  1. Anonymous4.11.14

    my favorite fall post so far! I adore all the pictures, they tell the whole story and you all had such fun. I love how close your family is and the joy you all bring out in each other. This was the very best. I'm wondering though if your apron might be lime green;) I think it's really cool we both went the black and white route. Sure wish I could have had some of that warm bread! I went through a phase of no kneed bread a few years back. It was so good, I would bake one batch and be starting the second batch right behind if for the next day. You make me want to go through my bread phase again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracie! No actually the apron is not lime green, but if it was it would be so much better! I am not even sure what color to call it but I got it at Ikea. As you see I posted a few too many pictures, I think my card had 164 pictures......try narrowing that down at 2 am in the morning. Uhhhhhggg.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts